October 19, 2012

My semester is winding down to a close at the University of Cape Town and the phrase, “all good things must come to an end,” comes to mind as I reflect on these past few months. I can’t believe that I am saying this but there are certain things about being at school that I will miss over the summer. One thing that I will especially miss is the children at Manenberg that I have grown close to over the month.

Today was my last day with the kids and it was bittersweet. There is one little girl who I have really developed a bond with. When I walked into the classroom today my heart dropped as I scanned the classroom to realize that she wasn’t there. This is not to say that the other kids aren’t great but there is something about this one girl that has really got to me. Maybe it is because she reminds me of myself when I was a child. She has an impish smile, an over abundant amount of energy and she is always up to some sort of mischief. She is so much fun!

While searching frantically for her I felt someone jump on my back and wrap their little hands around my eyes. I reached around and started tickling and loud giggles ensued. I looked around and there she was! My little friend! I was so happy to see her and she was so happy to see me!

She then looked at me and told me, “let’s read a book!” What a change , she normally just wants to play games but today she wanted to learn. I was so sad when the time came for us to leave but I cannot wait for school to start again so that I can see her and continue to read books and mentor her. What a joy.

One Response to “October 19, 2012”

1. Robin says:

So enjoyed reading your blog…sorry I haven’t said so before now. Hope your break goes well. will be excited to hear about the break and the sweet reunion with your students when you get back!